Thursday 14 March 2019

Hospitallers and Hospitality



                      Beconsaw. Sable a cross formy argent, in the sinister quarter an escallop of the second.



The village of Hesketh-with-Becconsall was at one time in the possession of the Knights Hospitaller until Henry VIII decided otherwise. It lies almost directly across the Ribble estuary from our apartment in Lytham. Probably no more than 4 miles away, it took us almost an hour to drive there this morning. 

We went to Becconsall to Talk The Walk to Becconsall U3A in the coldest hall in which I have yet performed I think it was colder in than outside. I suggested that we abandon the talk and do an exercise class instead so that everybody could cast off their overcoats and stop huddling. This seemed to meet with general approval but maybe they thought it was a joke so I reverted to the talk. 

The talk seemed to go down well, as usual, with bursts of laughter and general enthusiasm. We raised a decent sum for Pancreatic Cancer UK and I signed a few books into slavery. As usual, we met some lovely people and had some interesting conversations before and after the meeting.

We were pleased to note that the Community Hall is to be rebuilt soon, hopefully with adequate heating. 

I have abandoned Facebook, so this blog will from now on be the only public means of recording my progress.

I am now at about 176% of my fundraising target for, again, this phase of fundraising - since we came to live back in Britain. The £25,000 I have raised in total is just a drop in the ocean compared with the millions needed to fund the research to find a cure and a reliable method of diagnosis for this most deadly and savage type of cancer.

You don't need to attend one of my talks to help me in this task. You can donate by clicking on the "Justgiving" button on this page. No amount is too small (or too large).

Do you have an e-reader - a Kindle, Kobo, iPad or some such? Wherever you buy your e-books, you can buy a copy of my book about the Big Walk for the price of a coffee. Just search for "Vic's Big Walk from SW France to NW England". About £1 will go directly to Pancreatic Cancer UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment