Wednesday 4 September 2019

BANG ON 200%


Shevington, a farmstead near a hill called shevin, derives from the Celtic cevn meaning a ridge and the Old English tun, a farmstead. It is a hill slope settlement in the Douglas Valley recorded in documents in 1225 as Shefington.[6] Other recorded spellings include Scheuynton in 1253, Sheuington in 1277, Sewinton 1288 and Sheuynton in 1292.[7]

That was then, this is now. And yesterday Vic Talks The Walk rolled into Shevington, thanks to an invitation to speak to the Over 50s Club. I was invited by Gerald, a lone man - and prime mover - among the membership of women.

Thanks to the generosity of the members - a speaker fee, some individual donations and some book sales - My fundraising for Pancreatic Cancer UK rose to 200% of the target I set for July 2020.

The previous week I had reached 199% while speaking to Lancaster and Morecambe U3A in the Duke's Theatre in Lancaster. My slides, through the cinema projector, were filling the cinema screen and were dwarfing me as I strutted about, attempting to escape the blinding light.

No comments:

Post a Comment