Friday 14 February 2020

FULL HOUSE - PEOPLE TURNED AWAY











When I started Vic Talks The Walk - a project to raise funds and awareness for Pancreatic Cancer UK just by speaking and selling my books, I said it was something I would do until my 80th birthday.

Well, that birthday is only months away and I have vastly exceeded the fund-raising target I set myself. The target was £8,000 and the achievement so far is 218% of that, at £17507 (in addition to the amount I raised while walking from SW France to NW England almost 10 years ago).

I enjoy doing the talks and would be quite happy to carry on but I think it is time I gave my wife Gay a rest. Not only am I totally reliant on her to get to the venues because my sight problem means I cannot now drive, but - spare a thought for her - she has now heard my talk about 120 times!

So I have only a few talks booked for this year. Yesterday we were at the Little Theatre in Thornton Cleveleys to present to Fylde U3A. The event was very successful, I raised £365 from speaker fee, book sales and personal donations, all of which has already gone to Pancreatic Cancer UK. The theatre was packed and I found out only this morning that some people turned up and were unable to enter the theatre because there were no seats left.

The talks remaining in my schedule are not local to Lytham (where we live) but Gay has just advised me that she is thinking of booking a hall and having one last fling to give local people, who have not so far made it,  a chance to see Vic Talks The Walk. It is likely to be ticket only and it will be before 23rd July.

No comments:

Post a Comment