Friday 7 November 2014

Why Am I Talking The Walk In My Mid To Late 70s?


My first wife died as a result of pancreatic cancer, as have a number of my friends and contacts. In every case, another problem, such as back pain, was diagnosed. In every case, the time from diagnosis to death was a few short weeks. This is the norm with pancreatic cancer.

With many other cancers, enormous progress has been made in the past few years. No cancer is fun but some versions of cancer have gone from being an almost certain death sentence to being eminently treatable, with vastly improved survival rates.

During the same period, very little progress has been made in the diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer.


  • 40 years ago, there were very few survivors of childhood leukemia. Now the survival rate is 80%
  • 40 years ago 46% of women diagnosed with breast cancer survived 5 years or more. Now the survival rate is 80%
  • 40 years ago 3% of those diagnosed with pancreatic cancer survived 5 years or more. TODAY THE SURVIVAL RATE IS STILL 3%!


That is why, in my 8th decade, I have committed my efforts to at least the start of my 9th decade to do what little I can towards the changing of that last figure.

And you can help me.

Email me at

victalksthewalk@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment