Friday 17 June 2016

The Morning After - We Emerge From The Mist

Wainwright Urges Us To Now Invent Our Own Treks.
Children Fossicking On The Beach at Robin Hood's Bay

My Foot Crosses the Coast
Thursday morning we awoke to find the mist had lifted somewhat. So we made our way downhill again to see what Robin Hood's Bay really looks like. I have to say it is a charming place.

If you think my shoes look a little clean after walking for 14 days, the last one in particular through mud and bog, this is because they are my off-duty pair. I mention that only because I am sure somebody would point out their pristine condition.

The poster a yard or two from the beach quotes Alfred Wainwright as suggesting that, when one has completed this adventure designed by him, one should go away and invent one of one's own. Admirable sentiments, but I have been there, don, that, in my 70 day walk from the Pyrenees to the Pennines.

In the short time before we left, we saw numerous buses disgorging hordes of children under supervsion. The beach is famous for fossils and jet, but if this was a normal day how long will that last?

I could not have done this walk without Gay. Not only has she followed the maps and guided us faultlessy through what is sometimes not a very clear route, but she has, as usual, acted as my "seeing eye wife"  pointing out many places where I could have put a foot wrong and perhaps come a nasty cropper. She even has to do this when we are walking on pavements at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment