Tuesday 10 February 2015

My First Probus Talk -Good Proceeds to Pancreatic Cancer UK


I had never heard of Probus clubs 3 months ago. When Basil Strickland heard I was going to raise funds for Pancreatic Cancer UK by speaking to clubs and groups, he told me about Probus and suggested I should make contact with them.

I did, only to find out that, although there are lots of branches of Probus (for retired business and professional people) and although they have regular speakers at their meetings, they tend to book their speakers up a year or more in advance.

I made it clear that mine is a long-term project and I would be very happy to speak to any club in a year's time but that I could step in at short notice to replace any speakers who fell by the wayside through accident, injury or illness, or for any other reason.

This paid off and today I spoke to my first Probus Club, in Sandbach, at a week's notice. It was a pleasure to meet them all and I raised well over £100 including sales of autographed copies of my books and the speaker's fee, which at my request they paid direct into my fundraising page, which is, by the way:

https://www.justgiving.com/Vic-Heaney2

I know you have suggestions for talk or signing venues. No matter how crazy, let me know. I will talk to anybody. Or, if you want a signed copy of one of my books in return for a donation, or to contact me for any other reason, email me on:

victalksthewalk@gmail.com


Don't be shy. No venue is too small or too large. We have a disease to beat here.


If all other ideas fail you, why, you could just go to the "Donate" button on this page and send your money to the cause.

Follow me on Twitter:
@VicTalksTheWalk

Or on Facebook:
Vic Talks The Walk for Pancreatic Cancer UK

No comments:

Post a Comment